Tuesday 10 March 2015

Review: Sainsbury's Mexican Bean Grain Pot

As promised, I eventually got around to trying out one of the new Grain Pots from Sainsbury's . I chose Mexican Bean variant. It contains bulgur wheat and couscous, together with dried red kidney beans in a chipotle sauce.
 
When I took off the lid, I was rather surprised by how empty the pot was, and by how small the Chipotle sauce packet was. Nevermind, I said to myself, thinking that when I added water, the grains would swell up massively and produce a nice filling meal. I was wrong. I added the prescribed amount of boiling water, and in fact waited longer than suggested (I had to run an errand or two!). However, the pot still barely half full:
 
 
I decided to tip the grains onto a plate and eat with a side salad. They are a good sauce of protein, and in fact rather filling. Also, the flavour was pleasant (and quite hot - it had a '2 chilli' heat rating!), and I was impressed by the amount of dried red kidney beans and sweetcorn that were provided.
Overall though, I don't think I'll be getting another one.
 
£1.00 from Sainsbury's. 283cal per pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...