Wednesday 4 February 2015

Velvet Crunch Gourmet Bites


Oh dear. From the picture on the packet I was expecting these to be very similar to Snack a Jacks, which I love, and therefore I was looking forward to eating them. Well... my first disappointment was when I opened the packet - I doubt the packet was even half full (which probably explains why there are so few calories per pack). My second disappointment was seeing that hardly any of the crisps (can they be called crisps?) were entire. Many of them had broken, although this could be due to their journey home from the supermarket. Thirdly, the taste was not what I expected. They were not nearly as Salt-and-Vinegar-y as many of the other Salt and Vinegar crisps on the shelves, including Snack a Jacks. They were not so salty, but rather slightly sweeter. This could be due to the 'balsamic vinegar', which I believe has a sweeter taste anyway. The lower salt content is undoubtedly healthier, and the taste could become acquired if you get used to it, because it's not unpleasant, just unexpected! 


In almost every other way, they resemble Snack a Jacks. Although, significantly, they are not a rice cake; they are made from cassava and tapioca flour. They're also available in 'Thai Sweet Chilli' and 'Cheese and Onion'. If anyone has experience of these other flavours, please let me know.

Cost: £1.80 for pack of 6 at Sainsburys
Calories: 86 per pack
Rating: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...